Why is my job stuck on pending?
Jobs can have the following statuses:
- Completed - Completed indicates that the job was processed successfully.
- Failed - Failed indicates that the job ended because of an error. Errors can generally be attributed to failures in executing actions. e.g. an app was not reachable, or a contact being added already exists, etc. When an error is encountered, job execution stops i.e. downstream steps are not executed. Such jobs may create incomplete records in your apps as it failed before finishing all steps.
- Aborted - Aborted is a rare state that a job can get into if it has pending jobs and the recipe has been affected in a manner that these pending jobs cannot finish processing.
- Pending -Pending indicates that the job is still being processed. An icon with indicates it is a job pending.
A job that is stuck on pending means that it is waiting for an action to be completed. Examples of this would be,
1. if there is a repeat action set up and the recipe is still looping through the records. You can learn more about the repeat action here.
2. if there is an action for "people task" request approval, all requested invites have to be approved in order for the next step to be processed before the job is processed successfully. You can learn more about People Task here.
3. if there is a wait step and the recipe is waiting for the specified time to elapse. You can learn more about the Wait action here
A wait step action tells the to job pause for the specified length of time, e.g. 10 mins, before carrying out subsequent actions in the recipe. This is especially useful if you need to ensure that your recipe is using the most updated data in your mapping. The wait duration starts once the prior steps are completed. In the screenshot, the Wait duration starts once the recipe is finished searching for a contact in Xero.
Why is my recipe waiting longer than the duration specified in my Wait step? Why is my recipe not continuing after approving all the tasks?
In some cases, users may find that the "Wait" duration has already elapsed or they have already approved the People Task but the recipe doesn't continue.
These are some possible reasons why the job is stuck in pending:
1. The recipe is not running
It is required that the recipe is running for the recipe to resume after the "Wait" duration elapses. It won't work if you click "Test" in the recipe, you have to click "Start".
2. You selected a wait duration shorter than your account's polling interval
The minimum amount of time that the Wait action can wait for is based on the user's polling interval (tier-dependent). For example, the Community Plan has a polling interval of 10 minutes, so a Community Plan user cannot set the Wait action to wait for 5 minutes.